Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Week 3, Day 3: Tell es-Safi/Gath


This week has been another whirlwind and I'll post more later. Today was another big day: one of my students found a tiny gold coil, and another found a fragmentary bull figurine in another rubbish deposit. We have found several floors and documented them, then started excavating them. I went with 3 of my students to see the small Philistine museum in Ashdod. The best part of it was that they had costumes, so we all dressed up like a Sea People's Warriors. They also had a very interesting exhibit on the problem of looting and forgeries. We tried to find the site of Ashdod, but we would've needed a better car, but we did get sense of the landscape. Afterwards, we took a quick dip in the sea, which was very warm. When we got back to the kibbutz, I finally got to see a photo of the very interesting horned altar found at Ashkelon in a previous season.

No comments: